HomeShelters and Homeless ServicesCommunity Kitchen
The Thurston County 2012 annual point-in-time Census of the Homeless Population identified over 700 homeless residents. In addition the School Districts in our area have identified over 1,000 children between the ages of 6 and 18 as homeless.
The Community Kitchen serves a nutritious breakfast, lunch, and dinner seven days a week at our Salvation Army Site and lunch 4 days a week to teenagers at the Community Youth Services Site. Information and referral to housing and supportive services are available on site, including emphasis on shelter referrals in cold weather months.
The Community Kitchen served 107,485 meals during the period of July 1, 2010, through June 30, 2011. On a daily basis, we serve 300 people.
Review the chart below and choose a Lunch Day or Dinner Day that is convenient for you. Most volunteers choose one meal per month, for which they volunteer a total of approximately four hours per month. You may choose more meals if you find that you enjoy this type of service. Lunch crewmembers arrive at 9 a.m. and normally work until 1 p.m. Dinner Crews arrive either at 3 p.m. or 5 p.m. and stay until 7 p.m. The 5 p.m. arrival time is to allow working individuals to volunteer from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
1st Monday Lunch Crew
2nd Monday Lunch Crew
3rd Monday Lunch Crew
4th Monday Lunch Crew
5th Monday Lunch Crew
1st Wednesday Dinner Crew
2nd Thursday Dinner Crew
2nd Friday Dinner Crew
3rd Tuesday Dinner Crew
3rd Friday Dinner Crew
4th Tuesday Dinner Crew
4th Thursday Dinner Crew
4th Friday Dinner Crew
29th Day Dinner Crew
Last Day of the Month Dinner Crew
1. Call Marsha Hubbard Burch at 360-349-2808 or e-mail Marsha Hubbard Burch
to verify that a place is available for you on the day/meal you have chosen.
2. The Community Kitchen is located in the Salvation Army Building, 808 5th Street, at the intersection of 5th and Plum. You may park behind the building in any of the parking lots or on the street in front of the building. You may only enter the building through the back door. Simply push the buzzer to your left and someone will let you in.
3. When you arrive at TCK, put on an apron, wash your hands and ask your crew chief for an assignment:
- Preparing the meal (lunch preparation begins at 9 a.m.; dinner preparation starts at 3 p.m.)
- Serving the food (lunch begins 11 a.m. and dinner begins at 5 p.m.)
- Cleaning the Tables
- Washing the Dishes
- Storing the Leftovers
- Cleaning the kitchen and dining room after the meal
- Departure (lunch 1 p.m. and dinner 7 p.m.), feeling really good
The Community Kitchen is a program of the Thurston County Family Center