HomeShelters and Homeless ServicesCommunity Kitchen
The Community Kitchen serves a nutritious
breakfast, lunch, and dinner seven days a week at our Salvation Army Site,
lunch 4 days a week to teenagers at the Community Youth Services Site, and
lunch 3 days a week to adults at the Drexel House site. Information and
referral to housing and supportive services are available on site, including
emphasis on shelter referrals in cold weather months.
Review the chart below and choose a Lunch Day or Dinner Day that is convenient for you. Most volunteers choose one meal per month, for which they volunteer a total of approximately four hours per month. You may choose more meals if you find that you enjoy this type of service. Lunch crewmembers arrive at 9 a.m. and normally work until 1 p.m. Dinner Crews arrive either at 3 p.m. or 5 p.m. and stay until 7 p.m. The 5 p.m. arrival time is to allow working individuals to volunteer from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
1st Monday Lunch Crew
2nd Monday Lunch Crew
3rd Monday Lunch Crew
4th Monday Lunch Crew
5th Monday Lunch Crew
1st Wednesday Dinner Crew
2nd Thursday Dinner Crew
29th Day Dinner Crew
Last Day of the Month Dinner Crew
1. Call or email Hannah Geason (Site Coordinator) at 360-545-3205, or contact Gabriel
Ash (Social Service Manager) at 360-753-3340 ext., 26 to verify that a place is
available for you on the day/meal you have chosen.
2. The Community Kitchen is located in the Salvation Army Building, 808 5th Street, at the intersection of 5th and Plum. You may park behind the building in any of the parking lots or on the street in front of the building. You may only enter the building through the back door. Simply push the buzzer to your left and someone will let you in.
3. When you arrive at TCK, put on an apron, wash your hands and ask your crew chief for an assignment:
- Preparing the meal (lunch preparation begins at 9 a.m.; dinner preparation starts at 3 p.m.)
- Serving the food (lunch begins 11 a.m. and dinner begins at 5 p.m.)
- Cleaning the Tables
- Washing the Dishes
- Storing the Leftovers
- Cleaning the kitchen and dining room after the meal
- Departure (lunch 1 p.m. and dinner 7 p.m.), feeling really good
The Community Kitchen is a program of the Thurston County Family Center