HomeShelters and Homeless ServicesTacoma Avenue Shelter
The Tacoma Avenue Shelter provides a welcoming, comfortable, and safe place where men and women experiencing homelessness can get a good night's sleep, respect, develop affirming relationships with staff, and begin a realistic process of generating income and becoming housed.
Hours: 5:30 PM - 7 AM, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Guests are asked to arrive at or after 4:30 PM and are asked to wait inside the courtyard area or enclosed garage. Guests are not allowed to loiter or wait in the alley and are expected to stay at the shelter once they have been admitted for the evening. There are no in-and-out privileges.
Guests are admitted from 5:30 PM to 8 PM. During most of the year, no one is admitted after 8 PM without prior approval. During winter months no one is admitted after 7 PM. If a person has documentation that they have just been released from jail or the hospital, or if it is their first time at the shelter, they may be admitted after 8 PM /7 PM, if there is room. Showers are required. First-time guests must come directly to the shelter. They are placed on a waiting list until there is an opening at the shelter. We are not able to make reservations. Once there is an opening, guests complete a registration form and are assigned a sleeping location (bed or floor mat). Guests keep the same sleeping location, as long as they come to the shelter each night. There is a seniority process to move from a mat to a bed. People with medical or mobility issues are given priority sleeping locations. Guests can stay as long as needed. Each guest receives a “Welcoming Interview” within the first week to help them assess their needs and begin life goal planning.
- Men’s: 105 Beds and Mats
- Additional severe weather overflow floor and mats: 25
- Women’s: 40 Beds or Mats
- Additional severe weather overflow floor and mats: 10
- Total Bed capacity: 145
Total capacity during severe weather overflow: 180
During authorized severe weather alerts where the temperature is 32 degrees or below, we provide additional capacity to avoid turning away people needing shelter.
- On-site mental health outreach
- Evening meals provided by outside groups several times a week
- Social service assessment
- Therapeutic Social Worker
- Specialized program for veterans recently released from jail
- Lockers for long-term storage
- The shelter can be used as a mailing address
- Laundry facilities for guests
- Walking distance to CCS day shelters and meal sites
- Access to needed services
- Provide an evening meal for up to 145 individuals on a weekly or monthly basis
- Assist evening staff with distributing towels and sheets to guests (5 PM-9 PM)
- Assist with fund-raising events
- To volunteer, contact Nancy McFarland, Volunteer Coordinator at 253-502-2763.
Tacoma Avenue Shelter
1142 Court E
Tacoma, WA 98402
Shelter Telephone: 253-572-0131. Please call between 6 PM – 7 AM only.
No one is available to answer the phone during the day. We do not accept phone reservations. Guests must come directly to the shelter to access services.